MHR Friday
The moment I knew I would marry the man I call my husband...
I have to say that I entered my marriage without a clue on how I got there. The beginning of my marriage was not the storybook romance most would think about. Matt and I dated for 5 years before we married. We argued a lot and broke up several times...probably an early sign we weren't ready! Matt was the guy every girl wanted. He was handsome, smart, athletic and came from an awesome family-something I always wanted. There wasn't a particular time where I just KNEW I was going to marry him, oh but I hoped and prayed that I would be the girl that would.
I remember one day (after we were married) sitting on the couch with Matt. It had been a really rough year for us and it was only the beginning. I was carrying a ton of guilt from my past and just didn't feel like I deserved such a great husband. I was sobbing and my heart was so torn up inside. Matt sat down next to me on the couch and held my hand. He asked me this "April, do you think there is anything that you could ever do to make God stop loving you?" Of course I knew the answer and said "No." Matt then added this "Then why in the world would you think there is anything that you could do to make me stop loving you either? God calls me to love you as He loves the church."
It was then I knew that I had married the man God had intended for me. Matt loves me in that way. He is always gentle with me, patient, understanding, and stands by me no matter what. Our marriage has seen the darkest of days, but we have pulled through like CHAMPS! I am grateful for Matt and the calling on his heart to love me like Christ.
The challenge for the week is this:
1. Be patient. As the Love Dare book puts it “Resolve to say nothing negative to your spouse.” Our words have the power to build up or tear down in an instant, and unfortunately the destructive possibility is much easier, and quicker than the re-constructive. Let’s be very careful with the things we say to our spouses this week (well, always, but we’ll really focus on it this week).
2. See the movie Fireproof! I have not seen it yet but Matt and I will be making a date night this week to see it, can't wait!
I have to say that I entered my marriage without a clue on how I got there. The beginning of my marriage was not the storybook romance most would think about. Matt and I dated for 5 years before we married. We argued a lot and broke up several times...probably an early sign we weren't ready! Matt was the guy every girl wanted. He was handsome, smart, athletic and came from an awesome family-something I always wanted. There wasn't a particular time where I just KNEW I was going to marry him, oh but I hoped and prayed that I would be the girl that would.
I remember one day (after we were married) sitting on the couch with Matt. It had been a really rough year for us and it was only the beginning. I was carrying a ton of guilt from my past and just didn't feel like I deserved such a great husband. I was sobbing and my heart was so torn up inside. Matt sat down next to me on the couch and held my hand. He asked me this "April, do you think there is anything that you could ever do to make God stop loving you?" Of course I knew the answer and said "No." Matt then added this "Then why in the world would you think there is anything that you could do to make me stop loving you either? God calls me to love you as He loves the church."
It was then I knew that I had married the man God had intended for me. Matt loves me in that way. He is always gentle with me, patient, understanding, and stands by me no matter what. Our marriage has seen the darkest of days, but we have pulled through like CHAMPS! I am grateful for Matt and the calling on his heart to love me like Christ.
The challenge for the week is this:
1. Be patient. As the Love Dare book puts it “Resolve to say nothing negative to your spouse.” Our words have the power to build up or tear down in an instant, and unfortunately the destructive possibility is much easier, and quicker than the re-constructive. Let’s be very careful with the things we say to our spouses this week (well, always, but we’ll really focus on it this week).
2. See the movie Fireproof! I have not seen it yet but Matt and I will be making a date night this week to see it, can't wait!
Comments