The Mom




Today I put my shirt on backwards and inside out and didn't even notice. Today I took a short nap on the edge of bed, fully clothed including shoes, with my glasses on, with Sarabeth in her bouncy within arms reach of the bed..just in case her binky fell out-that would mean a burst of crying so loud your ears would ring. Now who can take a nap with that.
Today I actually brushed my hair, for fear of having to get out of the house for anything and seeing someone I thought looked familiar.
Today I didn't take a shower, usually that comes at 7 pm when Matt gets home, granted he's not working too late. In that case I skip the shower and go straight to bed. I wouldn't want the shower to wake me up when I'm so close to passing out.
Today I called the pediatrician 3 times hoping to get a different person from the time before to answer the question "why won't my child stop crying". The same lady answered all 3 times and gave me the same answer...she'll get better.


I know my life sounds so exciting, you want to be me. Well sorry people, unless you want to attempt to function on 4-5 hours of sleep per day, feed a child 8 times (including 2am and 5 am), change about 12 diapers-some of which are very stinky-do laundry, wash bottles (all 12 of them), make dinner, make at least one trip to Wal-Mart where you forget to buy at least 2 things that weren't on your list but you are in desperate need of, come home and leave your child in the car seat because she is sleeping for the first time in 5 hours, and attempt to take a nap-ATTEMPT because she will wake up as soon as you put your head down...I promise-unless this sounds appealing then I suggest you be happy with who you are and not to envy me.


I have to admit I'm not the person I was 5 weeks ago. I can't explain how it happens but becoming a mother changes you into a someone you would have never guessed was inside. Some days are like today, actually most days are. But some days I look down at my baby girl while she is sleeping and weep. While motherhood is a mostly thankless job with no paycheck, nothing can be more rewarding than the love I feel for my child. She smiles every time I change her diaper, even if she's in mid cry. She loves to take a bath. She gets so excited and kicks her legs when she plays on her tummy. She hates for people to touch her feet. She falls asleep every time I hold her in my arms and rock and sing to her. She's so innocent and I can't help but look at her and fall in love with who she already is. And best of all, she's mine. God gave me this one chance to raise one of His own. What a job!


So what if I may wear spit up on my shoulder all day, and leave the house fashionably in sweats and tennis shoes, wear my hair in a ponytail and carry a diaper bag instead of my favorite Fossil purse. So what if I only get to shower on the weekends (just kidding!), and I feel like I do dishes all day, in the end, I'm a mom. I'm THE MOM and she loves me no matter what.






Comments

Jake said…
wow, those days seem so distant now, but yet they lie in waiting for us again, and so soon. however, when i remember them, they don't seem all that bad. I guess that the bad really does fade away and only the good remains. don't worry...we all know that you're super-mom and can handle anything that little girl throws, or spits, at you.
Gabe said…
Ditto to the bad fading. I know that Julia screamed for 6 months straight and even while I could get a break at work (bless my wife), but I can't work up any real negative reactions to it. They've faded and the joy of my little girl is what remains.

Well put April. Well put. Especially in realizing that you are not 'a' mom, you're THE mom.

(why are the guys the only ones responding here?)
Anonymous said…
I know it may be hard to believe, but I'm actually in awe of you as I sit here and read this. I know its not a glamorous job by any stretch of the imagination and I'm sure it is hard. But just reading about the love you have for her is amazing. Someday soon you'll look at her as she runs past you and actually miss the nights you could hold your sleeping baby in your arms. I can't wait to feel the love you feel right now. Please remember to call me anytime you have a day like this. I was home almost all day today! I may not have known you for a super long time, but I am always there for you! Now, go give that Mini-Matt to him and get some rest! :)
Cheryl said…
What a beautiful post!It is a huge blessing to be "The Mom", no matter the ups and downs. It doesn't matter how your day goes, believe me the ups far out weigh the downs in the end. I have had enough downs to prove that God blesses your humble dependence on Him and His wisdom. If it was all ups, we would be tempted to take control and credit. Anything good and right about my children is because of God alone.
The Gallands said…
Beautiful- Now you understand why I don't always notice the "details" right? Suddenly somethings just aren't as important (or your just too tired to notice) I miss you!
Kelly said…
I am living this same thing - these same days but with a two year old. I'm here if you need to talk.
Kim and Eric said…
I appreciate the small glimpse that you gave me this afternoon as I read your blog. I really have no idea what I am in for, do i?
I am saying some prayers for you tonight! You are doing a great job! Hang in there! Kim
It gets easier and HEY you brushed your hair...that's awesome! My girls are 5 and 2 and sometimes if they're both sick I don't shower. ;)

White noise was my friend with both my girls. Seriously with my second my MIL discovered that the sound of the stove fan in the kitchen would completely zonk her out.

Swaddling and white noise...they really work!

p.s. sorry for the unsolicited advice...you didn't ask for it but I thought I'd give some ;)
Unknown said…
You had me in tears! I think its because people use all of those reasons to not ever have children. What you understand now, that a lot of women don't, is that that tiny spirit is worth it.
PS I typed this with one hand, while feeding Abby. Motherhood really stretches your skills, eh?
Tracey said…
awwww...what a sweet post! I'm all teary! She is beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Three

Garland Party