No One Told Me

That motherhood would be this hard.
That 12 days after giving birth I would look down and still not see my feet.
That right about the time I closed my eyes, she would open hers.
That I would be tempted to scroll through my phone to find someone to call to watch her while I went to the bathroom.
That the thought of a pedicure and manicure seemed so far away.
That such a tiny little being could have such explosive diapers!
That the lady at Walmart would ask me when my baby was due...5 days post partum.
No one ever told me what it would be like to be a mom. Yet, despite these things no one could have told me the joy that motherhood brings. Even in the middle of the night when I'm switching her from the cradle to the swing to the bouncy seat, just to get a few more minutes sleep, all I have to do is look at her sweet little face, and it all goes away.
I hear all of these things in my head "wait as long as you can to have kids, they change your life forever" "Your life will never be the same" " just wait, you'll never sleep right again".
The truth hurts.
Matt and I are trying hard to settle in, but it hasn't been easy. Sarabeth is such a great baby, rarely cries, but we are still up every 2-3 hours feeding, burping, entertaining, pumping milk (well me, not Matt :) The days and nights start to run together and soon your forget what day it is altogether. I know this time is temporary and I am enjoying her infancy. It's just hard adjusting, knowing that your comfy, soft bed is calling your name and you have to ignore it for the time being. Maybe one day, I'll sleep. Until then, I'll just keep depending on my daughters sweet face and uncontrollable smiles in the middle of the night to keep my mind off the rest.

Comments

Cheryl said…
Oh April, no matter how many books you read or who tells you what, nothing can completely prepare you for parenthood. You have the right attitude though. Enjoy every minute, even in the middle of the night. That was the best advice given to me when I had Isaac. You are right, this will not last forever. You will sleep a full 8 hours straight again. Cherish every second you have with sweet Sarabeth. Time will fly by without you even realizing it. Before you know it your oldest is about to turn 4 - where did the time go?
callie said…
It's true. Motherhood is something that nothing can prepare you for. It's a wonderful rollercoaster! Remember, what you're going through now is the hard part (until she's a teenager I'm guessing). It does get much easier!!
Gabe said…
Yeah, April, That's so true - Motherhood is ... er ... uh, nevermind.

Hey Matt, have you tried the pump? Do it! I dare ya!!!

Can't wait to see you guys!
Bonnie said…
Hey...if you made it to the bathroom you're doing great! :)
Unknown said…
Its worth it all but you are so right, the truth is painful. When you look back at this though you will see how much she changed you guys and what a blessing that it is. I love seeing you three together! The pics are great and the Rowntrees are so happy for you!!!

Popular posts from this blog