The Aftermath
Friday night was eerie. Matt and I put Sarabeth to bed around 8 and settled in for the storm. The windows were boarded so there was not much to look at. I woke up several times during the night to the sound of the wind and rain pounding on the roof. I peeked out one of the small windows we left uncovered and I could see all the trees laying sideways on the ground from the wind. We have tons of tall pines in our area and I could see them blowing so far over that I thought they would snap any minute. I eventually fell asleep around 10 and woke up around 12 when the electricity went out. It was so black in our house, I couldn't see anything. I kept taking my flashlight and checking on Sarabeth in the other room. I wanted so bad to move her in bed with us, but I knew that would make for an even longer night. Saturday morning we woke and watched out the one window as the storm continued. The pine tree in the yard across the street had snapped in half into the street and all the neighbors poor little trees were uprooted and blown down the street. The rain was still coming down hard and the wind was blowing all around. It was kind of depressing watching it all but I was amazed at the hugeness of this storm.
Matt and I were talking the week before about God and the weather and he reminded me of a verse in Romans (I think it's 8:22) where Paul talks about the earth groaning in anticipation of the return of Christ. I was reminded of how big my God is. For the first time I realized what "fearing the Lord" meant to me. It was not to be scared of him but to be live in the truth that the same God who created the fury of Hurricane Ike also created me and loves me. I rest in him knowing this. Our family may have to live without some creature comforts for a while, but that pales in comparison to living without a relationship with the one who gives eternal comfort.
Matt and I were talking the week before about God and the weather and he reminded me of a verse in Romans (I think it's 8:22) where Paul talks about the earth groaning in anticipation of the return of Christ. I was reminded of how big my God is. For the first time I realized what "fearing the Lord" meant to me. It was not to be scared of him but to be live in the truth that the same God who created the fury of Hurricane Ike also created me and loves me. I rest in him knowing this. Our family may have to live without some creature comforts for a while, but that pales in comparison to living without a relationship with the one who gives eternal comfort.
Comments